What is Locum Tenens?
Connect with a Barton Recruiting Expert
What is Locum Tenens Staffing?
The term locum tenens is Latin for “holding one’s place”. A locum tenens staffing and recruiting agency, such as Barton Associates, assigns physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and dentists to short and long term positions at hospitals, medical practices, and companies across the United States. At Barton Associates, we’re able to place locum providers on assignments ranging from just a few shifts to up to a year or more in a wide variety of medical specialties.
About the Locum Tenens Industry
There is a critical shortage of healthcare providers in the United States—and this shortage is growing at an alarming rate. In many markets and areas of practice, the supply of doctors is not sufficient to meet the needs of healthcare practices.
As a result, these organizations are increasingly turning to Barton Associates to solve their staffing challenges, ensure patient access and continuity of care, and generate revenue. With the ever increasing demand for healthcare services and the flexibility and benefits of practicing medicine as a locum tenens provider, more and more physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and dentists are making a career as locums.
Why Do Providers Choose Locum Tenens Jobs?
Providers take advantage of locum tenens positions for a wide variety of reasons, including:
- Freedom. Locum tenens providers have the ability to choose when and where they want to work, throughout the country.
- Independence. Escape the office politics, bureaucratic headaches, and skyrocketing medical malpractice costs associated with a traditional medical career.
- Compensation. Locum tenens providers receive highly competitive pay based on practice area and location and, typically, travel related costs (such as airfare, lodging, and ground transportation) are covered.
- Experience. Gain valuable experience, maintain and improve skills, expose yourself to new technologies and techniques, and enhance your CV by taking advantage of locum jobs in a variety of practice settings and locations.
- Malpractice Insurance provided. Barton Associates provides ‘A’ rated malpractice insurance for all of its locums while on assignment.
Put our locum tenens recruiters to work for you today. It’s fast, easy and free.