What Is Locum Tenens?
Why Do Facilities Use Locum Tenens Providers?
There is a shortage of physicians and clinicians in a wide variety of practice areas and states, and this shortage is expected to grow and become more problematic over the coming years. As a result, many healthcare facilities and practices across the country have had difficulty maintaining adequate levels of patient access and generating much needed revenue.
Some common reasons medical facilities and practices leverage locums through Barton Associates include:
- Critical staffing needs because of unexpected absences.
- Vacation or illness-related staffing needs.
- Leaves of absence (such as maternity and sabbatical leaves).
- Starting a new program, service, operation or facility.
- Coverage needs while recruiting a permanent provider.
- Augmenting permanent staff during unexpected, periodic, or seasonal jumps in volume.
- Chronic, long-term staffing shortages.
Locum tenens staffing can be an efficient, cost-effective, and an easy way to manage a wide variety of staffing challenges.
Why Do Healthcare Professionals Choose Locum Jobs?
- Freedom. Locum tenens jobs provide the freedom to work where and when you want, across the United States and its territories.
- Independence. Locums are able to escape the office politics, bureaucratic headaches, escalating medical malpractice costs, and other challenges associated with traditional (permanent) positions.
- Pay. Locum tenens jobs offer competitive pay based on medical specialty and location and, generally, travel costs (such as flight, hotel/lodging, and car rentals) are covered. Locum jobs are a good long-term employment option and also provide those with permanent jobs a way to supplement their income.
- Experience. Locum jobs provide the opportunity to gain new experiences, maintain and improve skills, and experience new technologies, techniques, locations, and settings — and enhance your CV.
- Malpractice insurance. Barton Associates provides “A” rated malpractice insurance for all its locums on assignment, free of charge.